Friday, April 14, 2006

First Contact...

So it's been a week since I started working on this grand idea. My book outline has blossomed to an 18 page bullet-point list and I have put out the first few feelers to some well known bakers and cake artists to see if I can quote them or get some feedback from them. Of course we're just starting into wedding cake season, so anyone who will be willing to give me some feedback will not be able to look at anything until at least September (which is good... gives me some time to actually have something to show them!!) but at least I can gauge who would be willing!

It's also been long enough for me to realize I haven't introduced myself!

SO... my name is Melissa Capyk. I am in my 30s and am married with 2 kids (that's my youngest asleep in his wagon in my avatar). Cake decorating became my latest obsession about three or four years ago, and almost a hundred cakes later, I still love it (which is a good thing, because I have built up quite a collection of equipment!) I have a day job, so making cakes has always been just a side business for me, much as I would love to do this full-time. In my university years, I sculpted and painted, so you can see in much of my cake-work that I like to make cakes that don't look like cake! I also make polymer-clay custom cake toppers when called upon, and I have dabbled in marzipan and pulled sugar work. Some day I hope to create a line of custom, one-of-a-kind cake plates, but one major project at a time!

At this point I have no training in web design so my site (www.itsyourdaycakes.com) is pretty basic, and a few things don't work the way I'd like, but I am about to rectify that as I will be taking a web design course at a local college in a few weeks.

Up until about a year ago, I had been decorating in a sort of vacuum... no contact with any other cake decorators except through my ever-expanding collection of books and magazines. One day while searching the net for something cake-related, I happend upon www.cakecentral.com and discovered a whole community of cake people! It's an amazing resource; full of wonderful, helpful cake artists. The only down-side is that it is so large, and so choc-full of American resources that as a Canadian can be difficult and/or expensive to access.

Along came my new friend Paul, who set up a Canadian-centred site: www.CakesCanada.com Over time I talked myself into the role of one of the moderators on the site. While there are not as many resources as CakeCentral, this site fill a different niche. The classes and stores mentioned are all Canadian, as are most of our members. It's a smaller community of the cake-obsessed, and many of us have met in person through either our DoS (Day of Sharing) or other local cake activities.

When I want to see what's new in cake-related stuff on-line, I like to check out my fellow blogger Lisa's site: http://cakefun.blogspot.com. Eventually I spent enough time there (and posted enough pictures in her www.Flickr.com group) that she asked me to become a contributor, so you'll see the occasional (much less long-winded) post from me there too!

6 comments:

  1. Good luck with the book Mel!! Can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cakes are all beautiful & I can't wait to get a copy of the book you're writing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I'm very excited about this project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mel! The eBook idea from another comment may be something I can help with if you need it and decide to go that route. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Lisa... I've seen yours & will keep that in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with this Mel....you know I am one of your biggest suppoters!!!!

    I help you out any way I can!!

    ReplyDelete

Sweet Words!