Friday, March 28, 2008

Paperwork... AKA the Bane of my Existance

So today is quiet... finishing up the naughty cake & cookies for tomorrow's events, meeting with one bride to finalize her cake, then it's back to doing my paperwork.

Did I mention I HATE paperwork? I am an artist, people! A Free Spirit! However... the government has other ideas. And they actually want to know how much tax they can charge me (HA!! I have to be making money to pay you... so THERE!) and I have to be able to prove it. So... I learn book-keeping. Egads it is dull. I mean, I knew it would be... but still. I haven't even finished entering my suppliers list and I want to either take a nap or remove my eyeballs with a dull screwdriver just to make things interesting.

I guess this is just more incentive to get REALLY busy and successful so I can hire someone ELSE to do this stuff for me!

It's been a pretty successful week... not financially necessarily, but in other ways.
  • I established a friendly relationship with one of my competitors, with a nice agreement to refer to one another any of our overflow as well as some information sharing. That feels really good.
  • One of my on-line cake friends has promised to nag me like she was my mother if she doesn't see a regular post from me here... so now I have to write or face the wrath of the smileys! (thanks Nancy... just the push I need!)
  • I met with 6 brides this week and had 6 great consultations. I have one more this weekend for a fun suitcase wedding cake.
  • I quoted a nice order of mini cakes... they are so labour intensive, but a lot of fun!
  • I met with an advertising rep and a potential supplier.
  • I get to decorate naughty cookies (does it get any better??? LOL)

I'm also preparing for my 3rd (and probably final for this season) bridal show display in a couple of weeks. I find these shows nerve wracking, but exhilarating too. It terrifies me to be in front of a crowd, yet I love nothing more that to talk cake all day with a bunch of happy brides.
I have learned a few things about bridal shows though:
  1. bring back up: make sure SOMEONE will be around to be at your booth when you have to pee or eat. It really sucks to stand around all day, faint from hunger and crossing your legs while doing a dance. Just not a professional look.
  2. bring water and lots of it. Talking is thirsty work, and if your booth is at all successful, you will be doing a LOT of talking.
  3. wear comfortable shoes. yes the sexy stilettos look better, but the brides really don't want their grooms paying too much attention to the cake lady, and besides... you will be on your feet for the next 8 hours, smiling and looking friendly, dammit! Painful shoes will not help your smile.
  4. Bring samples. People LOVE free food. get used to it. bring chocolate... the grooms will love you.
  5. the cakes you bring are not necessarily the cakes you will sell. This sounds very strange so let me elaborate (go ahead... try to stop me! It's my blog and I warned you that there would be blathering!) Any display cakes you bring should be in the style that you want to be doing, but they are like stage makeup; overly dramatic and there to draw attention. Most brides will order something traditional and pretty; but if all you show them is traditional and pretty, you are not memorable, and you will not get their order.

well enough blathering for one day... Happy Caking!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sweet Words!