Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Procrastination

Procrastination. We all do it (don't we?)

Personally, I figure that I just can't function without a certain level of stress and guilt. It's the only logical explanation of why I will put off until tomorrow (or the day after, or next week) a job that will take me 5 minutes today.

I get to dwell on the fact that it's not done, and feel bad about whoever is waiting for the results of my inaction. I get to wake up at 3 am with a clenched stomache and complete inability to go back to sleep until 10 minutes before the alarm goes off. I get to over-eat all sorts of junk food and gain 100 000 pounds. Ah yes... the perks of procrastination.

With cakes, I can use the excuse that I want the cake to be as fresh as possible. So I won't start baking until the day before the cake is due. Then, all the little decorative details I had in my mind have to get by-passed since I decide at 3 am that it's time to sleep instead of fussing with the cake anymore. Who knew that I'd still be up at 3am on a Friday night now that I'm in my mid-30s?

See... there's another perk!! I get to fraternise with all the drunken college kids on my way home after baking. Procrastination keeps me young! It just makes me look old.

But wait! There is a solution!!!

According to a professor at Stanford, procrastination can be a good thing... it's all about how you use it! check out his articles on Structured Procrastination and Perfectionism. If nothing else, the time you spend reading the articles will be an excellent way to avoid doing what you should be doing! He also has several other hilarious articles... just follow the "more essays" link on either of those pages.


Well I have to go... there are things I should be doing!

3 comments:

  1. I've always thought that I worked better under pressure. Whether it's the truth or not, it's how I see things.

    If I don't have a huge to-do list, I just don't do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Article!!
    The one thing I try to teach my clients that are members of Procrasti-NATION IS that you need to look at your to-do list and find the one item you really do not want to do and make sure IT IS the item you do FIRST everyday! Then do that everyday for a month - so it can become a habit. Once you start your day by getting the "crap" out of the way first and early - all days are better! You can then look forward to great days - every day!

    Procrasti-NATION must fall - check it out here- maybe you and your readers will get some ideas...

    http://ya-ttitude.com/blog/2008/03/10/ya-ttitude-procrasti-nation/

    Benny
    www.ya-ttitude.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. LMAO! I'm one of the biggest procrastinator and my wife hates it. But, I always tell my children and students not to procrastinate but they always do. I guess children really do learn by example.

    ReplyDelete

Sweet Words!