Monday, April 21, 2008

Missing the Obvious

Sometimes procrastination is not just procrastination. Sometimes it's your own mind trying to tell you there is a better way!

I have been wrestling with doing my book-keeping for over a month now. I have an accounting program available to me, my MIL is a book-keeper, my husband was an accountant.

Yet every time I start up that program, I just get angry and frustrated. So most days, I just feel guilty about looking at that icon on my desktop, and ignoring it.

For those of you who don't know me... new computer programs do no scare me. I usually LOVE learning stuff. I taught myself Excel, and was known as the resident guru of the office.

I'm not going to mention the name of the program, because I have realized that the problem does not lie with the program... it's all me. I simply do not WANT to learn it. And no amount of self-flagellation is going to change that.

However...

Did I mention that I'm pretty decent at Excel? That I have written entire suites of spreadsheets complete with macros and formulii that would make even a programmer dizzy? Suites that combine purchasing, scheduling, inventory management, shipping schedules and more.

And then the lights came on.

I did all that for someone else.. why not for myself? No restrictions or stupid company policies. No "that's the way it's always been"!

WHY DID I NOT THINK OF THIS BEFORE NOW????

I love making cakes. I love designing spreadsheets. How is it I missed the perfectly obvious opportunity to combine these things?

I can be so stupid sometimes. LOL

So now, I am designing my own Excel-based cake business spreadsheet suite. WOO HOO!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sweet Words!